College But Different is a national training provider working across UK Government Departments to deliver a range a funding to enable students to access course.
All 16 to 19 study programmes should be designed to provide students with a structured and challenging learning programme that supports their development and progression in line with their career plans. Study programmes should be individually tailored but will typically combine the elements below:
- substantial qualifications that stretch students and prepare them for education at the next level or for employment, although this is not a requirement for the T Level Transition Programme
- English and maths where students have not yet achieved a GCSE grade 4
- work experience to give students the opportunity to develop their career choices and to apply their skills in real working conditions
- other non-qualification activity to develop students’ character, broader skills, attitudes and confidence, and to support progression
On an apprenticeship, you’re employed to do a real job while studying for a formal qualification – usually for one day a week either at a college or training centre. By the end of your apprenticeship, you’ll hopefully have gained the skills and knowledge needed to either succeed in your chosen career or progress onto the next apprenticeship level.
What you’ll learn depends on the role that you’re training for. However, apprentices in every role follow an approved study programme, which means you’ll gain a nationally-recognised qualification at the end of your apprenticeship.
These qualifications can include:
- Functional skills – GCSE-level qualifications in English, maths and IT.
- National Vocational Qualifications (NVQs) – from Level 2 (comparable to five GCSEs) up to Level 5 (similar to a postgraduate degree).
- Technical certificates – such as BTEC, City and Guild Progression Award etc.
- Academic qualifications – including a Higher National Certificate (HNC), Higher National Diploma (HND), foundation degree or the equivalent of a full Bachelors degree.